Provincial Procurement Officer
The Islamic Republic of Afghanistan has received a grant from the International Development Agency (IDA) for the Afghanistan Second Skills Development Project (ASDPII). The said project aims to increase the potential for employment and higher earnings of graduates from Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) schools and institutes through improvements in the skills delivery system. The said project consist of four main components, strengthening of the TVET institutional system, Improving performance of TVET Schools and Institutes, Improving Teacher Competencies, and Project Management, Monitoring & Evaluation and Public Awareness.
The ASDP project is looking for recruiting a Provincial Procurement Officer on competitive basis in order to continue his/her service as stated in below duties and responsibilities and support the project skills team in term of all procurement related activities.
2. Summary of the Position
The Provincial Procurement Officer (PPO) will assist Procurement team in his/her daily procurement activities and prepare procurement documents accordingly. He/she will be based in Kabul with vast responsibility towards provincial procurement for the institutes outside Kabul that would require travel and at times extended stay in the regions for carrying the responsible of preparing bidding documents for all items that will be procured under ASDPII. Meanwhile, he/she will be responsible for all procurement activities such as Work, Goods and Services for all institutes/schools granted under ASDPII. He/she will report to Procurement Specialist on timely manner.
3. Duties and Responsibilities
- Prepare bidding documents for the provincial procurement of goods and services in accordance with the guide lines of the World Bank;
- Checking all documents submitted to the procurement department by both users and other related to Procurement of required.
- Full assistance and cooperation with relevant institute while prepare technical specification as needed.
- Coordinate and participate in the opening and evaluation of the proposals ensuring during all stages that World Bank procedures and the applicable national regulations are followed;
- Implementation of procurement in the project including sourcing, suppliers’ selection and evaluation, quality management, customer relationship management, performance measurement;
- Reporting on delivery of procurement services;
- Timely and duly preparation of procurement plans for the project and monitoring of their implementation as needed;
- Assistance in monitoring and control of procurement processes including receipt of requisitions, organization of ITQ, ITB and RFP, receipt of quotations, bids and proposals, their evaluation, negotiation of certain conditions of contracts in full compliance with World Bank Procurement;
- Review and verification of purchase orders for goods, contracts for services and works;
- Preparation and maintaining of procurement files in a systematic manner for post review purposes
- Explain the procurement process to each granted institute/school and Audit department representative;
- Preparation and maintenance of project files incl. providing a weekly report on project status;
- Regular arrangement for Audits as per World Bank rule and regulation;
- preparation of bid documentation;
- Participate in Evaluation process of bidding documents;
- Conduct technical and financial evaluation of bids;
- Obtain stock report and fully responsible for carry out stock process and insure successfully delivery to concern institute.
- Liaison with the Department of Finance for payments to contractor.
- Liaise with contractors/suppliers to ensure timely delivery.
- Liaise with provincial Education Department and relevant institutes in the province for procurement of goods and services.
- Other related duties as necessary and/or directed by the top management;
4. Qualifications and Experience
a. Essential criteria:
- At least Bachelor degree in Engineering, Business Administration, Economics or other relevant fields;
- At least 3 years of working experience in procurement management with well reputed or international organization, of which two consecutive years must be as procurement officer level.
- Experience with World Bank funded project is highly preferred;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English, and the ability to prepare and synthesize lengthy and complex documents (knowledge of Dari and Pashto is also must);
- Experience and ability in utilizing office program of the computer such as MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint;
- Demonstrate extraordinary skills at critical path of project.
b. Additional criteria
- Teamwork: Proven leading and interpersonal skills and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic and multi-agency environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising the quality, team spirit and constructive working relationships with all colleagues.
- Ability to actively seek and improve services, offer new and different options/initiatives to solve problems/meet client needs, promote and persuade others to consider new ideas.
- Demonstrated ability to work with, motivate and train Govt. staff; and commitment to perform any other related tasks as may be assigned by a supervisors and other authorities;
- Time flexibility, the procurement officer may required to work overtime or weekends due to needs of the institute and instruction from high authority;
- Will be able to work independently at critical time.
5. Reporting and Counterparts
The PPO will work under direct supervision of ASDPII Procurement Specialist and will extend support and assistance to the Deputy Ministry of TVET through his daily activities.
The PPO shall submit a report before 5th of every month detailing the activities carried out with reference to work plan. In addition he/she will also submit quarterly monitoring reports.
6. Duration of the Assignment:
The assignment will be initially for 12 months, subject to satisfactory performance at the end of the first 3-months probationary period. After 12 months, subject to a complete performance review, availability of funding; and the circumstances of the Ministry of Education prevailing at that time, an extension to the contract may be considered.
7. Duty Station:
The duty station of this position will be ASDPII Office, Deputy Ministry of TVET, Deh-bori, Kabul, Afghanistan, visiting to provinces is compulsory, at some circumstance duty station may change from main office to provincial level.
8. Submission Guidelines:
Interested Afghan candidates are requested to send their applications and CVs via e-mail:
HR Department/ASDP Project
Address: Deputy Ministry of Technical Vocational Education and Training, Dehbori, behind of Music School, Ministry of Education, Kabul, Afghanistan